Parents of Newtown victims come to Delaware
DOVER, Del. - May 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- Parents of several children shot to death in the Newtown, Connecticut school massacre brought their push for gun control to Delaware.
Governor Jack Markell held pictures of Daniel Barden. Anna Marquez-Greene and Dylan Hockley, three of the victims of the Sandy Hook shooting.
Parents urged Markell and Delaware lawmakers to pass legislation banning high capacity ammunition magazines.
"There were 11 other children in that classroom that escaped and are at school today because that shooter had an issue with reloading and gave them enough time to run for their lives," said Dylan Hockley's mother, Nicole.
Markell plans to sign legislation expanding background checks to nearly all private sales in Delaware.
He said keeping weapons out of the wrong hands isn't a liberal or conservative issue.
delaware, connecticut, Newtown, Conn. school shooting, shooting, local/state
- Missing Philadelphia couple found safe
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain 6 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett to announce Vatican trip 14 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim 1 min ago
- Officers drive into hail of gunfire in N. Phila.
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse 41 min ago
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- Video: Secret Oreo cookie recipe sold to China
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: Wedding of cop, teacher at Flower Show
- AccuWeather: Lots of clouds, some SE rain
6 min ago
- Police identify mystery hit-and-run victim
1 min ago