Lawncrest carjacking, stabbing suspect arrested in Abington
LAWNCREST - May 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police have made an arrest in the wake of a carjacking and stabbing in Lawncrest.
Only Action News was on scene as the carjacking suspect spewed obscenities and was taken into Northeast Detectives Tuesday night.
Police say around 7:00 p.m. the female suspect called a taxi company which sent a Chrysler 300 to the 700 block of Adams Avenue.
"The female entered the vehicle in the backseat, then immediately pulled a knife, put it to the throat of the limo driver," Philadelphia Police Inspector Scott Small said.
Small said the taxi driver, using both hands, grabbed the knife and a struggle ensued.
Both of his hands were cut.
Investigators say the suspect then pulled a gun. The driver ended the struggle and gave up his Chrysler 300.
He immediately called 911.
"This 40-year-old driver, with his hands bleeding, said his cab was stolen. His cab had a GPS. We immediately began tracking the cab," Small said.
Tactical Air and patrol officers tracked the car to the Huntingdon Valley Shopping Center just outside of the city limits and the suspect was taken into custody.
"In plain view, in the front seat of a limousine, was the bloody knife, which is described as a 12-inch steak knife," Small said.
The suspect's name has not been released. She faces charges of carjacking, aggravated assault, and related offenses.
The driver was treated at a local hospital for his injuries.
philadelphia, carjacking, stabbing, local/state, chad pradelli
- 3 beach homes destroyed in Sea Isle City fire 29 min ago
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Images of Sea Isle City fire 42 min ago
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry 57 min ago
- Popular chocolate maker reopens in time for Easter
- Montco hall closes weeks before bride's wedding
- Search continues for robbers in armored car heist
- Penn State police: 3 posed nude at Nittany shrine
- McNabb serves 1-day sentence after DUI arrest
- Hate messages sprayed on W. Amwell business
55 min ago