Lawncrest carjacking, stabbing suspect arrested in Abington
LAWNCREST - May 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police have made an arrest in the wake of a carjacking and stabbing in Lawncrest.
Only Action News was on scene as the carjacking suspect spewed obscenities and was taken into Northeast Detectives Tuesday night.
Police say around 7:00 p.m. the female suspect called a taxi company which sent a Chrysler 300 to the 700 block of Adams Avenue.
"The female entered the vehicle in the backseat, then immediately pulled a knife, put it to the throat of the limo driver," Philadelphia Police Inspector Scott Small said.
Small said the taxi driver, using both hands, grabbed the knife and a struggle ensued.
Both of his hands were cut.
Investigators say the suspect then pulled a gun. The driver ended the struggle and gave up his Chrysler 300.
He immediately called 911.
"This 40-year-old driver, with his hands bleeding, said his cab was stolen. His cab had a GPS. We immediately began tracking the cab," Small said.
Tactical Air and patrol officers tracked the car to the Huntingdon Valley Shopping Center just outside of the city limits and the suspect was taken into custody.
"In plain view, in the front seat of a limousine, was the bloody knife, which is described as a 12-inch steak knife," Small said.
The suspect's name has not been released. She faces charges of carjacking, aggravated assault, and related offenses.
The driver was treated at a local hospital for his injuries.
philadelphia, carjacking, stabbing, local/state, chad pradelli
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 17 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run 35 min ago
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup 12 min ago
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course 4 min ago
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 8 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Photos: 'The Bachelor' Season 18 finale in pictures
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
8 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
14 min ago