Lawncrest carjacking, stabbing suspect arrested in Abington
LAWNCREST - May 7, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police have made an arrest in the wake of a carjacking and stabbing in Lawncrest.
Only Action News was on scene as the carjacking suspect spewed obscenities and was taken into Northeast Detectives Tuesday night.
Police say around 7:00 p.m. the female suspect called a taxi company which sent a Chrysler 300 to the 700 block of Adams Avenue.
"The female entered the vehicle in the backseat, then immediately pulled a knife, put it to the throat of the limo driver," Philadelphia Police Inspector Scott Small said.
Small said the taxi driver, using both hands, grabbed the knife and a struggle ensued.
Both of his hands were cut.
Investigators say the suspect then pulled a gun. The driver ended the struggle and gave up his Chrysler 300.
He immediately called 911.
"This 40-year-old driver, with his hands bleeding, said his cab was stolen. His cab had a GPS. We immediately began tracking the cab," Small said.
Tactical Air and patrol officers tracked the car to the Huntingdon Valley Shopping Center just outside of the city limits and the suspect was taken into custody.
"In plain view, in the front seat of a limousine, was the bloody knife, which is described as a 12-inch steak knife," Small said.
The suspect's name has not been released. She faces charges of carjacking, aggravated assault, and related offenses.
The driver was treated at a local hospital for his injuries.
philadelphia, carjacking, stabbing, local/state, chad pradelli
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 10 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm 44 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 43 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 50 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th
- Police: Pedestrian struck and killed in...
30 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
43 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos