'Miss America' song cut from pageant
ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. - May 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- The next Miss America won't hear a familiar refrain when she's crowned in Atlantic City in September.
The song, "Miss America," which starts with the words, "There she is, Miss America," will not be part of the pageant.
Miss American Organization vice president Sharon Pearce tells The Press of Atlantic City the tune, which was first played in 1955, is no longer included. She says no decision has been made on a final song.
The song was replaced by instrumental music at the 2013 pageant in January after the widow of the songwriter filed a licensing lawsuit in federal court in California in 2012. The complaint was dismissed in December following a confidential settlement.
The song was not used for three years in the 1980s after a contract dispute.
Information from: The Press of Atlantic City (N.J.), http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com
atlantic city, atlantic county, new jersey, miss america, lawsuit, local/state
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- Tracking Weekend Storm 29 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash 55 min ago
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering 49 min ago
- Berks Co. police chief faces child porn charges
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes 43 min ago
- 800K in danger of ID theft after laptop theft
- Suspect sought after West Philadelphia bank robbery
- North Korea executes Kim Jong Un's uncle
- DA: Woman stole $81K from Montco church
- Photos: 60 photos of Golden Globe nominees
- Tracking Weekend Storm
29 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos