Camden school board votes to lay off more than 200
CAMDEN, N.J. - May 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Camden's school board is laying off nearly 100 teachers and support staff members and all 113 lunch aides.
The cuts were deeper than expected. Some of the lunch aides might be hired by the district's food vendor.
The Board of Education took the action Tuesday night.
Board members declined to answer questions from teachers and members of the public who attended the meeting.
The state government is taking control of the school district, which is in one of the nation's poorest cities.
One reason for the layoffs is a declining enrollment in a city where many children attend charter schools.
camden, camden county, school, local/state
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding 6 min ago
- Turning Milder 51 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Teacher admits to sex with 4 students 29 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
- Car, SUV collide outside Trenton firehouse 47 min ago
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed