Camden school board votes to lay off more than 200
CAMDEN, N.J. - May 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Camden's school board is laying off nearly 100 teachers and support staff members and all 113 lunch aides.
The cuts were deeper than expected. Some of the lunch aides might be hired by the district's food vendor.
The Board of Education took the action Tuesday night.
Board members declined to answer questions from teachers and members of the public who attended the meeting.
The state government is taking control of the school district, which is in one of the nation's poorest cities.
One reason for the layoffs is a declining enrollment in a city where many children attend charter schools.
camden, camden county, school, local/state
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 41 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slick, debris not from missing Malaysia jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: Skydiver's mid-air collision with plane
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act