Camden school board votes to lay off more than 200
CAMDEN, N.J. - May 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Camden's school board is laying off nearly 100 teachers and support staff members and all 113 lunch aides.
The cuts were deeper than expected. Some of the lunch aides might be hired by the district's food vendor.
The Board of Education took the action Tuesday night.
Board members declined to answer questions from teachers and members of the public who attended the meeting.
The state government is taking control of the school district, which is in one of the nation's poorest cities.
One reason for the layoffs is a declining enrollment in a city where many children attend charter schools.
camden, camden county, school, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera 47 min ago
- Slightly Cooler Sunday 1 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
1 min ago