Camden school board votes to lay off more than 200
CAMDEN, N.J. - May 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Camden's school board is laying off nearly 100 teachers and support staff members and all 113 lunch aides.
The cuts were deeper than expected. Some of the lunch aides might be hired by the district's food vendor.
The Board of Education took the action Tuesday night.
Board members declined to answer questions from teachers and members of the public who attended the meeting.
The state government is taking control of the school district, which is in one of the nation's poorest cities.
One reason for the layoffs is a declining enrollment in a city where many children attend charter schools.
camden, camden county, school, local/state
- Photos: 21 suspects ID'd in Collingdale drug sweep
- Foggy, cloudy, mild today
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Missing mom, baby from Newark, Del. found
- Sinkhole opens up on Northern Liberties street 13 min ago
- Christmas decoration theft caught on camera
- Attorney: Winston relieved no charges in sex case 35 min ago
- Pizza delivery man shot in Overbrook
- Missing Phila. boy hit by car in Upper Darby
- Chester Co. firefighters called to Md. pet shop fire
- Coffins unearthed at North Philly school
- Attack in Center City caught on camera
- Video: Topless woman chases peeper from Kohl's