Funeral held for Harrisburg Bishop Joseph McFadden
PHILADELPHIA - May 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Roman Catholic Bishop Joseph McFadden, spiritual adviser to 250,000 central Pennsylvanians, was hailed as a tireless advocate for his church at a funeral service in Harrisburg.
About 1,700 mourners packed Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church, where Philadelphia Archbishop Charles Chaput presided over Wednesday's more than two-hour service. Gov. Tom Corbett was in attendance.
Allentown Bishop John Barres recalled McFadden's lifelong love of basketball and said he "played to win" whether it was his work for Catholicism or participation in a ball game.
The 65-year-old McFadden died of a heart attack Thursday after feeling ill while attending a meeting of the Catholic Bishops of Pennsylvania in his native Philadelphia.
McFadden was Harrisburg's bishop for nearly three years. He's being buried at Holy Cross Cemetery in Harrisburg.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, harrisburg, philadelphia archdiocese, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 22 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken 19 min ago
- Kensington chocolate factory shut down by City 5 min ago
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident
- Suspects sought for shooting into home
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 39 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos