Funeral held for Harrisburg Bishop Joseph McFadden
PHILADELPHIA - May 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Roman Catholic Bishop Joseph McFadden, spiritual adviser to 250,000 central Pennsylvanians, was hailed as a tireless advocate for his church at a funeral service in Harrisburg.
About 1,700 mourners packed Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church, where Philadelphia Archbishop Charles Chaput presided over Wednesday's more than two-hour service. Gov. Tom Corbett was in attendance.
Allentown Bishop John Barres recalled McFadden's lifelong love of basketball and said he "played to win" whether it was his work for Catholicism or participation in a ball game.
The 65-year-old McFadden died of a heart attack Thursday after feeling ill while attending a meeting of the Catholic Bishops of Pennsylvania in his native Philadelphia.
McFadden was Harrisburg's bishop for nearly three years. He's being buried at Holy Cross Cemetery in Harrisburg.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, harrisburg, philadelphia archdiocese, local/state
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom