Funeral held for Harrisburg Bishop Joseph McFadden
PHILADELPHIA - May 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- Roman Catholic Bishop Joseph McFadden, spiritual adviser to 250,000 central Pennsylvanians, was hailed as a tireless advocate for his church at a funeral service in Harrisburg.
About 1,700 mourners packed Holy Name of Jesus Catholic Church, where Philadelphia Archbishop Charles Chaput presided over Wednesday's more than two-hour service. Gov. Tom Corbett was in attendance.
Allentown Bishop John Barres recalled McFadden's lifelong love of basketball and said he "played to win" whether it was his work for Catholicism or participation in a ball game.
The 65-year-old McFadden died of a heart attack Thursday after feeling ill while attending a meeting of the Catholic Bishops of Pennsylvania in his native Philadelphia.
McFadden was Harrisburg's bishop for nearly three years. He's being buried at Holy Cross Cemetery in Harrisburg.
pennsylvania, philadelphia, harrisburg, philadelphia archdiocese, local/state
- Partial house collapse in Strawberry Mansion 51 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion 41 min ago
- 2 injured in NJ Turnpike crash in Mt. Laurel 12 min ago
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Cabbie allegedly locks doors in credit card dispute
- Vietnam vet's therapy dog missing in Lehigh Valley
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp....
41 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos