$750,000 in contractor tools stolen, 2 charged
PHILADELPHIA - May 8, 2013 (WPVI) -- The Philadelphia District Attorney's Office has charged two men in connection with the theft of stolen contractor vans and tools.
38 -year-old David Zagami of Croydon, Pa. is charged with Theft, Receiving Stolen Property, Criminal Mischief, Possession of an Instrument of a Crime (PIC), and Conspiracy for the theft of 31 Econoline and Chevrolet Express contractor vans.
Zagami is also charged with taking tools from inside another 19 vans, and stealing tools from inside several buildings.
"Mr. Zagami would steal contractor vans for the contents and dump the vans. He would also break into contractor vans and steal their tools," Sgt. Paul Lorenzo of the Philadelphia Police Department Major Crimes Auto Squad said.
Sgt. Lorenzo says Zagami hit 56 times in Philadelphia beginning last summer.
Earlier, the Bristol Township man was arrested by Bucks County authorities for alleged thefts there.
Zagami was arraigned Tuesday night and is currently being held on $1.1-million bail.
37-year-old Eric Guerra Chacon of the 200 block of Louden Street in Philadelphia is also facing charges for receiving the stolen property from Zagami and attempting to sell it.
Chacon is charged with Receiving Stolen Property and Conspiracy.
He turned himself into police on May 3rd and he's currently being held on an ICE detainer.
Sgt. Lorenzo estimates he total value of the thefts to be approximately $750,000.
Lorenzo says the crimes hit small contractors hard.
After all, these are literally the tools of their trade.
"They get trucks stolen and their tools stolen, they can't go to work, they can't make money, can't pay bills, can't feed the family, so it hurts a lot of people," Lorenzo said.
philadelphia, bucks county, theft, local/state, john rawlins
- Suspects tie up 71-year-old in home invasion
- Bitter Blast Thursday
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Worker shocked by electrical cable in East Falls
- Bandit holds up TD Bank in Chestnut Hill
- Dump truck hits ATV pulling sled, boy killed
- American University campus lockdown lifted
- Woman charged in boyfriend's heroin death
- Shooting victim drives to Broad St. police station
- Narcotic officers raid Lacey High School
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Fake deaf interpreter crashes Mandela memorial
- Video: Cover Story: Can Foles break jinx?