Motorcyclist injured in crash with Springfield police car
SPRINGFIELD, Pa. - May 9, 2013 (WPVI) -- A motorcyclist is hospitalized after officials say he crashed into a police cruiser in Delaware County Thursday night.
The accident occurred shortly before 9:00 p.m. along Baltimore Pike just west of Bishop Avenue in Springfield Township.
"The officer was pulling out of North Avenue and never saw the motorcycle until it struck his police car," Springfield Township Police Chief Joe Daly said.
Police say the bike was going fast and weaving through traffic.
The impact of the crash sent the motorcyclist flying off the bike.
He suffered two broken legs and possible internal injuries.
The motorcyclist was taken to Crozer Chester Medical Center where he is stable.
The officer was not injured.
The police chief says this accident should serve as a reminder.
"It's speed. I don't care if you're driving a tricycle. If you're going to drive fast and you weave in and out of traffic this is the consequences you're going to have," Daly said.
Baltimore Pike was closed while police investigated the scene.
pennsylvania, delaware county, motorcycles, accident, local/state
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 30 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 2 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion
- Video: Raw video from scene of NYC explosion
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 18 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection 29 min ago
- Police ID man killed in shooting that led to standoff 39 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 26 min ago
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak 25 min ago
- Sandusky's wife: Victims manipulated over money
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase 42 min ago
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 16 min ago
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush...
42 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
18 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with...
29 min ago