Kutztown University to allow guns on campus
KUTZTOWN, Pa. - May 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- With finals a week away, the talk at Kutztown University has turned to a new gun policy on campus.
The blanket ban on guns is gone, instead carrying firearms will now be permitted in open areas of campus for those with a government issued license.
"I heard about students being allowed to carry weapons on campus in my Activist Writing Media class. As you can imagine with an activism crew, they weren't very happy," said Julia Wise, sophomore.
View more on Kutztown University's new policy.
Kutztown, which is one of 14 state-owned universities, made this change after lawyers determined an outright ban was legally unenforceable.
Still a number of conditions are in place.
"We have made it very clear that firearms are not permitted in any university buildings, classrooms, dormitories, residence halls, university events," said Matt Santos, University Relations.
In a letter to campus explaining the policy, Kutztown's president wrote that while he's "cognizant of the concerns associated with the change, as a state institution we must follow the advice of legal counsel and do what is necessary to comply with the Second Amendment."
While some see this new policy as progress, the Campus Leader for Students for Concealed Carry says he would like the changes to go further.
"I want to be able to respond to an assailant who wants to stab me, harm me, mug me, take whatever I have, or assault any of my classmates here," said Robert Fallstich.
pennsylvania, college, guns, local/state
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Finally, a nice weekend!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing Malaysian jet 35 min ago
- 5 wounded and hospitalized in Trenton shooting
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Pedestrian ID'd in fatal Collingdale hit-and-run
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Oil slicks found in hunt for missing...
35 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos