Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta weekend kicks off
PHILADELPHIA - May 10, 2013 (WPVI) -- Preliminary heats got underway Friday morning for this weekend's 75th annual Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta.
More than 3,500 student athletes are competing in the Philadelphia tradition on the Schuylkill River.
"It's really special being a Philadelphia school and having everyone come here," said Marie Weber.
For Philadelphia University rowers, taking part in the Aberdeen Dad Vail Regatta is a thrill after all their hard work.
"Getting to row in it this year was the most amazing feeling. It's just a really good, positive environment," said Shannon O'Donnell.
From near and from far, 3,700 rowers from more than 120 colleges and universities are taking part this weekend.
Thousands of spectators will line the banks of the Schuylkill River.
While qualifying rounds took place outside, winners of a local high school art contest were honored for their rowing themed works.
"I wanted to do Boathouse Row and do the rowers. That's kind of hard for me so I went with that," said Kathy Nguygen.
Adding to the day's excitement was official word that the Regatta will be in Philadelphia for three more years.
It's an event that showcases the city and boosts the local economy.
"It heightens the profile, the international flavor for Philadelphia. Those people are going to be here through the course of the weekend. They're going to eat, they'll shop, they'll stay in our hotels. So there is an economic impact," said Mayor Michael Nutter.
Officials say there will also be heightened security during the event to ensure the weekend runs safe and smoothly.
philadelphia, dad vail regatta, local/state
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City 11 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today 56 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped girls in class 29 min ago
- Montco 3rd grader hospitalized with meningitis infection
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment 18 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars 31 min ago
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home 23 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office
- Homes evacuated in Tacony for gas leak
- Co. carjacking suspect arrested after rush hour chase
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
31 min ago