Fundraiser held for injured Bucks County student
PENNDEL, Pa. - May 11, 2013 (WPVI) -- A fundraiser was held Saturday for Neshaminy High School student Matt Cruz, who was left paralyzed from the chest down after a bus accident in February.
It was the moment Matt Cruz and his entire support system had been waiting for; his homecoming to Bucks County.
"It feels great to be home. I've missed it. I've missed everything about all the people and just being home," said Matt.
It has been almost three months since the Neshaminy High School sophomore was in a devastating bus crash in Boston.
The 16-year-old, who was on a college tour, suffered spinal injuries paralyzing him from the chest down.
He was finally released from Magee Rehabilitation Saturday, and his first stop was to Our Lady of Grace School in Penndel where he surprised his friends who were holding a fundraiser for him called "Cruzing on Home."
"It's unbelievable that he has made such tremendous progress in such a short amount of time, and to be able to want to come out to his fundraiser with this positive attitude of I'm not going to be a prisoner in my house," said Matt's mother Megan Cruz.
More than a dozen musical acts hit the stage Saturday night, all of them students from area schools.
There was also a raffle and baked goods for sale. The extraordinary effort was organized by friends and former classmates.
"They were a little in denial at first, because you just don't think something like this is going to happen to someone that you know. I think they were in shock. And once the shock wore off, they decided that they were going to help," said Juli Flynn.
"None of us know what it is like for him to go through this, but I think that it is really important for him to see that people care and that people want to be there for him because it will help him get through it a little better," said Emily McFadden.
Matt is scheduled to be back to physical therapy next week.
"It means a lot, coming from all these people in the county who are coming together, it means a lot everyone is trying to help out," said Matt.
As Matt continues his road to recovery, the fundraising will continue.
Donations can be made to the Matt Cruz Foundation at Bucks First Federal Credit Union located at 2104 Bath Road in Bristol.
school, bus crash, bucks county, pennsylvania, local/state
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected 44 min ago
- Turning Milder
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville 6 min ago
- Police search for suspects in religious store robbery
- Jewelry thieves target Montgomery Co. open houses
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera 24 min ago
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments
- Barbara Walters' Most Fascinating Person revealed
- Video: Christmas tree comes to life in school prank 40 min ago
- Target confirms breach; up to 40M affected
44 min ago
- Man dies in fast-moving blaze in Talleyville
6 min ago
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught...
24 min ago