Authorities capture NJ dad sought in child beating
PLAINFIELD, N.J. - May 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a North Jersey man accused of severely beating his 3-month-old child was captured as he tried to flee the state.
Union County Prosecutor Theodore Romankow says 34-year-old Michael Bell of Plainfield was arrested late Saturday night near Penn Station in Newark, where he was planning to take a bus to an undisclosed site.
Bell was being held Sunday without bail, and it's not known if he has a lawyer.
Bell faces an aggravated assault charge in the matter, and Romankow says additional charges are expected.
Plainfield police responded to a Lee Place home around 10:35 p.m. Friday and found the infant, who was suffering from fractures and internal bleeding.
The child remained hospitalized Sunday in grave condition.
new jersey, child abuse, local/state
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Oil slick, debris not from missing Malaysia jet
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Court won't hear dispute over 'boobies' bracelets 39 min ago
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Video: 85-year-old grandma outsmarts robber
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act