Authorities capture NJ dad sought in child beating
PLAINFIELD, N.J. - May 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a North Jersey man accused of severely beating his 3-month-old child was captured as he tried to flee the state.
Union County Prosecutor Theodore Romankow says 34-year-old Michael Bell of Plainfield was arrested late Saturday night near Penn Station in Newark, where he was planning to take a bus to an undisclosed site.
Bell was being held Sunday without bail, and it's not known if he has a lawyer.
Bell faces an aggravated assault charge in the matter, and Romankow says additional charges are expected.
Plainfield police responded to a Lee Place home around 10:35 p.m. Friday and found the infant, who was suffering from fractures and internal bleeding.
The child remained hospitalized Sunday in grave condition.
new jersey, child abuse, local/state
- More Snow on the Way
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Photos: Winter storm forecast maps 50 min ago
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack
- Thief steals $17K from Philadelphia charter school
- 2 PSU students charged with ethnic intimidation
- Teen shot and killed in Wilmington 5 min ago
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced
- ID released of man killed on Pa. Turnpike
- 2K get meningitis B vaccinations at Princeton
- US Airways, American merger complete
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition