Authorities capture NJ dad sought in child beating
PLAINFIELD, N.J. - May 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a North Jersey man accused of severely beating his 3-month-old child was captured as he tried to flee the state.
Union County Prosecutor Theodore Romankow says 34-year-old Michael Bell of Plainfield was arrested late Saturday night near Penn Station in Newark, where he was planning to take a bus to an undisclosed site.
Bell was being held Sunday without bail, and it's not known if he has a lawyer.
Bell faces an aggravated assault charge in the matter, and Romankow says additional charges are expected.
Plainfield police responded to a Lee Place home around 10:35 p.m. Friday and found the infant, who was suffering from fractures and internal bleeding.
The child remained hospitalized Sunday in grave condition.
new jersey, child abuse, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids
- Partly sunny, a bit milder today 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Fire forces several residents from Logan apartments 5 min ago
- Delco man missing after leaving medical facility
- Puppy poisoned in Mantua, New Jersey
- Lehigh University suspends frat in vandalism case
- All-clear given after Liberty H.S. lockdown
- Ferry sinks off South Korea; hundreds still missing
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead
- Photos: Wawa celebrates 50 years
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man