PennDOT hopes I-81 will be open again Tuesday
HARRISBURG, Pa. (AP) - May 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- Transportation officials hope to reopen Interstate 81 on Tuesday morning following last week's tanker fire that damaged a ramp over the highway near Harrisburg.
PennDOT officials said Sunday they hope I-81 will ready for the morning commute on Tuesday.
The interstate has been shut down since Thursday when a tanker carrying diesel fuel overturned and burst into flames. The intense heat buckled steel beams and damaged the road so badly officials feared it could collapse onto the interstate.
Long-term repairs could take months and traffic restrictions will remain in place while the damage is assessed.
harrisburg, pennsylvania, local/state
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect 8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days 14 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet 41 min ago
- 2 wounded in daytime shooting in Trenton
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Del. worker hospitalized after pretzel factory accident
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
8 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
14 min ago