Facebook friend steals from Upper Darby woman, police say
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - May 14, 2013 (WPVI) -- Facebook can sometimes be a dangerous place, and so it was for a woman in Upper Darby.
26-year-old Mark Thomas was supposed to be a friend - at least on Facebook. Instead, police say he broke into the woman's home.
"It's serious charges when you kick somebody's door in and steal their belongings. That's a serious crime," Upper Darby Police Superintendent Michael Chitwood said.
The two had chatted on Facebook.
The woman posted that she had a cell phone for sale, and police say Thomas claimed he wanted to buy it.
"Their relationship was formed over Facebook. She's lucky that's all he did," Chitwood said.
Saturday afternoon the two met up at the woman's home near 69th Street. Thomas was supposed to buy a phone from her.
As the two walked toward a cell phone store to activate the phone, police say he told her he forgot his sunglasses and ended up going back.
When the she got back to her house, the door was kicked in. Two rings and a cell phone were gone.
Action News went to Thomas' home to ask him about the allegations. Someone peeked through the blinds, but never opened the door.
Most people we spoke to say they aren't surprised by what happened.
"If I don't know you, why would I want to know your business? Why would I want you to know my business? It's access to your family pictures," Janel Chaughnessy of Aldon said.
"You may have something that you're looking for and the other people's intention may be different than yours," Hector Rivera of West Philadelphia said.
This time police were able to get everything back to the woman and she wasn't hurt. But Chitwood says this should be a reminder to us all.
"You're opening yourself up. You're allowing people into your life that maybe shouldn't be allowed in your life. It's a danger."
Thomas is out on a $10,000 unsecured bond.
pennsylvania, upper darby, delaware county, facebook, theft, local/state, eva pilgrim
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash 31 min ago
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Bishop McDevitt HS student robbed at gunpoint 9 min ago
- Gov. Christie signs immigrant tuition bill
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle...
31 min ago