Firefighter accused of stealing from patient, police sources say
KENSINGTON - May 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- It started as a routine call for Engine 28 in the Port Richmond/Kensington area Monday night. But police sources tell Action News it ended in trouble for a Philadelphia firefighter.
The firefighter is accused of stealing money from a patient he transported to Temple University's Episcopal Hospital. Action News has learned the allegation is that the firefighter, who was driving a medic rig, went through the pockets of the patient and stole cash.
The incident was reportedly caught on hospital surveillance cameras.
"It's not good for him, it's not good for anyone, but the fact that things like this happen, we have to deal with them in some way and if an investigation has to occur then so be it," Jakuv Dziedzic of Port Richmond said.
Philadelphia Police will only confirm that East Detectives are looking into the alleged theft. However, there has been no arrest and no charges have been filed.
The Firefighters Union says the firefighter, who has been on the job somewhere between 9 and 11 years, spent Tuesday at East Detectives being questioned with his union rep by his side.
He has been taken off the job at Engine 28 and placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.
Neighbors who know the firehouse well say the accusation is hard to believe.
"That's up to the law. I can't make judgments. I'm not God and I'm not the law. All I can say is, that firehouse, I hope it stays there as long as I'm around," Port Richmond resident Gerri Szymkowski said.
The Philadelphia Firefighters Union president says these accusations happen, and many times they are false, which is why the union is investigating.
Other people related to this case were also questioned by police investigators on Tuesday.
More information on the case is expected to be released today.
philadelphia, kensington, port richmond, theft, local/state, kenneth moton
- Man robbed at gunpoint in North Philadelphia 55 min ago
- Brisk And Cold
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Neighbor alerts showering woman of fire in home 53 min ago
- Derailed train car blocking road in South Coatesville
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- Arrest in deadly June shooting in West Philadelphia
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Girl kidnapped, freed in Reading; suspect at large
- On video: Burglars steal drugs in Hunting Park
- Tourist distracted by Facebook falls off pier