Police fire shots at armed suspect in Parkside
PARKSIDE - May 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Philadelphia police fired shots at an armed suspect following a chase in the city's Parkside section early Wednesday morning.
The incident happened just after midnight on the 5000 block of Kershaw Street.
Police say they stopped a 19-year-old male, thinking he was younger for a curfew violation when he broke away and started to run.
The male then pointed a weapon at police, officials say, and police then fired four shots, missing the suspect.
According to police, the suspect was chased on foot into a fenced backyard, where he climbed up to a roof area.
A police helicopter assisted in finding the suspect on the roof.
He was apprehended and taken into custody.
The suspect suffered a back injuring during the chase.
No police were hurt and the investigation continues.
shooting, parkside, police, philadelphia, local/state
- Homes damaged by Ocean County forest fire 43 min ago
- Winds Ease Overnight 38 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Wedding crashers caught on camera
- Photo released of suspect in WCU indecent assault 57 min ago
- Forest fire up to 1500 acres in Cumberland Co.
- 2 attempted lurings near Upper Merion school
- 1 dead in shooting near Widener University
- Package prompts evacuation in Evesham
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 3 American doctors killed in Afghanistan
- Photos: National Pretzel Day Art & Fun Facts
- School stops serving Mountain Dew before tests
- Winds Ease Overnight
38 min ago
- Homes damaged by Ocean County forest fire
43 min ago
- Trenton pastors make a stand against violence
35 min ago
- Millions heading to Rome as 2 popes become...
54 min ago