Powerball jackpot grows to $600 million
DES MOINES, Iowa - May 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Powerball officials say the jackpot has climbed to an estimated $600 million, making it the largest prize in the game's history and the world's second largest lottery prize.
Lottery officials say the prize is growing quickly Friday because so many people have been purchasing the $2 tickets. The jackpot has grown by an estimated $236 million since the last drawing on Wednesday.
The last jackpot was won on March 30, so it's been growing for about six weeks. The next drawing is Saturday night.
The largest jackpot ever was a $656 million Mega Millions prize won in March 2012. The prize was split three ways with winners in Illinois, Kansas and Maryland.
Odds of winning the Powerball jackpot are about 1 in 175 million.
powerball, lottery, local/state
- Building under demolition collapses in Old City
- Windy and cold today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of Old City building collapse
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff 25 min ago
- Police: Coatesville man died before fire began
- NJ charges 4 with false Sandy aid applications 52 min ago
- After 6 days, Malaysian jet mystery still unsolved 28 min ago
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- 7th body recovered after NYC explosion
- Philadelphia Zoo welcomes 2 new tiger cubs 17 min ago
- Video: Man punches boy, 8, steals his iPad
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
25 min ago
- Group calls on Phila. City Council for...
23 min ago