Powerball jackpot grows to $600 million
DES MOINES, Iowa - May 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Powerball officials say the jackpot has climbed to an estimated $600 million, making it the largest prize in the game's history and the world's second largest lottery prize.
Lottery officials say the prize is growing quickly Friday because so many people have been purchasing the $2 tickets. The jackpot has grown by an estimated $236 million since the last drawing on Wednesday.
The last jackpot was won on March 30, so it's been growing for about six weeks. The next drawing is Saturday night.
The largest jackpot ever was a $656 million Mega Millions prize won in March 2012. The prize was split three ways with winners in Illinois, Kansas and Maryland.
Odds of winning the Powerball jackpot are about 1 in 175 million.
powerball, lottery, local/state
- Police: NJ mom drives van into river with 3 kids 23 min ago
- Freeze Warning overnight
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Trash truck overturns on Rt. 130 in Pennsauken 7 min ago
- Kensington chocolate factory shut down by City
- Mom sought after daughter, 11, shot and killed 48 min ago
- Voorhees police need help identifying this man 32 min ago
- Burlco man charged in brother's hit-and-run death
- Boy dies after Mayfair drowning incident 48 min ago
- Suspects sought for shooting into home 21 min ago
- Search for missing teenager in Camden
- Chestnut Hill College student found dead 6 min ago
- Made In America Festival in Philly and LA
- Suspects sought for shooting into home
21 min ago
- Saving with 6abc: Shopping seasonally
43 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos