Chris Christie: Frustration fueled weight-loss surgery
PRINCETON, N.J. - May 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie says he underwent secret weight-loss surgery because he had been feeling frustrated and angry over his inability to slim down.
The governor told people attending an event at a Princeton bookstore on Tuesday that he got upset with himself when his clothing wouldn't fit.
The Record newspaper reports Christie appeared at the shop with MSNBC hosts Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski to promote Brzezinski's new book "Obsessed," which includes an interview with Christie about his weight.
The governor says he often hears from people who don't understand the struggle.
Christie says "It's not as simple as, 'Push yourself away from the table and you'll be fine.'?"
In February, he had a band surgically placed around his stomach to restrict how much food he could eat.
Information from: The Record (Woodland Park, N.J.), http://www.northjersey.com
gov. chris christie, new jersey, local/state
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight 2 min ago
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ