Shooting of 12-year-old in Camden ruled accidental
CAMDEN, N.J. - May 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Investigators say the shooting of a 12-year-old by an 11-year-old in Camden was an accident.
The shooting happened around 8:00 a.m. Friday at a home in Cresbury Apartments.
The Camden County Prosecutor and Camden County Police said Wednesday that the children did not know the gun was loaded.
The 12-year-old was shot in the face and is still recovering at Cooper University Hospital.
Meanwhile, investigators are still trying to determine how the children got the gun and who it belongs to.
Investigators earlier said a 19-year-old relative of the victim was in the apartment with the boys when the shooting occurred.
Police are working to figure out who owns the gun. There are laws in New Jersey that require gun owners to keep guns safe from children, by either keeping it in a safe place or keeping it locked.
new jersey, camden, shooting, local/state
- Delco school on lockdown amid standoff 6 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Reward offered in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Turnpike officials: Road plowed, salted before pileup
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- 6 students hurt in Camden Co. school bus crash
- 2nd suspect sought in finger-biting attack
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police 29 min ago