Shooting of 12-year-old in Camden ruled accidental
CAMDEN, N.J. - May 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Investigators say the shooting of a 12-year-old by an 11-year-old in Camden was an accident.
The shooting happened around 8:00 a.m. Friday at a home in Cresbury Apartments.
The Camden County Prosecutor and Camden County Police said Wednesday that the children did not know the gun was loaded.
The 12-year-old was shot in the face and is still recovering at Cooper University Hospital.
Meanwhile, investigators are still trying to determine how the children got the gun and who it belongs to.
Investigators earlier said a 19-year-old relative of the victim was in the apartment with the boys when the shooting occurred.
Police are working to figure out who owns the gun. There are laws in New Jersey that require gun owners to keep guns safe from children, by either keeping it in a safe place or keeping it locked.
new jersey, camden, shooting, local/state
- ABC News: Possible security breach at Target 32 min ago
- Winter Warm Up
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Elderly couple's life savings stolen in Media
- Police: Man shoots self on SEPTA bus 53 min ago
- $6M counterfeit check ring busted in Phila.
- Purse snatcher at Willow Grove Mall caught on camera 1 min ago
- Arrest in stabbing of elderly man in Egg Harbor
- 2 million-dollar tickets sold in NJ, 1 in Del.
- Phil Robertson off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 3 min ago
- Guide dog saves blind man after subway track fall
- Impact of Sunoco HQ, Citibank leaving Philly
- Video: Soldier returning from Afghanistan...