Shooting of 12-year-old in Camden ruled accidental
CAMDEN, N.J. - May 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Investigators say the shooting of a 12-year-old by an 11-year-old in Camden was an accident.
The shooting happened around 8:00 a.m. Friday at a home in Cresbury Apartments.
The Camden County Prosecutor and Camden County Police said Wednesday that the children did not know the gun was loaded.
The 12-year-old was shot in the face and is still recovering at Cooper University Hospital.
Meanwhile, investigators are still trying to determine how the children got the gun and who it belongs to.
Investigators earlier said a 19-year-old relative of the victim was in the apartment with the boys when the shooting occurred.
Police are working to figure out who owns the gun. There are laws in New Jersey that require gun owners to keep guns safe from children, by either keeping it in a safe place or keeping it locked.
new jersey, camden, shooting, local/state
- Photos: 24 wanted in Phila. insurance fraud scheme
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting 39 min ago
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say 25 min ago
- Police ID man found dead in Centreville driveway 15 min ago
- Road reopens months after Frankford water main break 30 min ago
- Man shot multiple times in West Philadelphia 15 min ago
- Fmr. Devon Prep teacher faces child porn charges
- Woman charged in NJ man's overdose death
- 3rd lottery jackpot hits at Atlantic Co. truck stop
- New 'object of interest' in missing jet hunt
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Eye doc grew pot in Delco home, police say
25 min ago
- Pizza deliveryman ID'd in police shooting
39 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos