Suspect in South Philadelphia DJ murder charged, identified
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - May 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have arrested and charged a man with the murder of a DJ in South Philadelphia.
Josephe Murray, 18, of the 5700 block of Reedland Street, was arrested on Wednesday and charged with murder and robbery.
Tom Watson, 36, known as DJ Fenix, was shot and killed at the Haagen-Dazs ice cream shop at 242 South Street around 3:45 a.m. Saturday. Watson's apartment was in the same building.
On Monday, police sources told Action News they found a large amount of cocaine and marijuana in his apartment.
Those sources believe Watson would sell drugs at his performances.
Police sources say they also believe Watson was targeted because of the drugs, because his attackers made no effort to steal his music equipment.
In addition, police sources say, they have surveillance video of the attack and the killers were not wearing masks.
The video shows Watson fighting with his attackers, police sources say, before he was shot multiple times.
Watson worked as a DJ at Tavern 222.It was not immediately known if any more arrests would be made in this case.
philadelphia, south philadelphia, robbery, homicide, shooting, local/state
- Man dressed as Santa struck on I-95
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving 21 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- PennDOT preps begin ahead of wintry mix
- Man shot, killed in West Oak Lane
- $10K reward in murder of Chester gas station owner
- Suspects sought in carjacking, abduction
- Underground transformer fire in Center City
- Police: Pa. newlyweds killed man from Craigslist
- Teacher says he was fired because he is gay
- NJ officers play Santa for 'Shop with a Cop'
- Pearl Harbor ceremonies marks bombing anniversary
- Campbell Soup apologizes for SpaghettiOs Pearl Harbor tweet
- Snow/ Sleet Arriving
21 min ago