Suspect in South Philadelphia DJ murder charged, identified
SOUTH PHILADELPHIA - May 15, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police have arrested and charged a man with the murder of a DJ in South Philadelphia.
Josephe Murray, 18, of the 5700 block of Reedland Street, was arrested on Wednesday and charged with murder and robbery.
Tom Watson, 36, known as DJ Fenix, was shot and killed at the Haagen-Dazs ice cream shop at 242 South Street around 3:45 a.m. Saturday. Watson's apartment was in the same building.
On Monday, police sources told Action News they found a large amount of cocaine and marijuana in his apartment.
Those sources believe Watson would sell drugs at his performances.
Police sources say they also believe Watson was targeted because of the drugs, because his attackers made no effort to steal his music equipment.
In addition, police sources say, they have surveillance video of the attack and the killers were not wearing masks.
The video shows Watson fighting with his attackers, police sources say, before he was shot multiple times.
Watson worked as a DJ at Tavern 222.It was not immediately known if any more arrests would be made in this case.
philadelphia, south philadelphia, robbery, homicide, shooting, local/state
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives
- Snow will turn the ground white again!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- March Madness: Villanova, St. Joe's, UDel all in
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Book 'em! Wilmington cop donates books to kids