Officer's weapon discharges at suspected burglar in Lawndale
LAWNDALE - May 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- A police officer's weapon accidentally discharged at a suspected burglar in the Lawndale section of Philadelphia early Thursday morning.
The incident happened around 4:00 a.m. on the 6300 block of Palmetto Street.
Action News has learned that residents heard a break-in inside a backyard shed and called two neighboring off-duty officers who live in the area.
The officers discovered the suspect taking items from the shed - a generator, a saw and a weed whacker.
The officers yelled "police activity" and the suspect fled.
Officials say one of the officers' gun accidentally dischargedm but the suspect was not hit.
Police called out a K-9 unit to try and track the suspect down. So far, there is no word on an arrest.
police, burglary, shooting, philadelphia, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife 57 min ago
- Brief Surge of Mild Air 7 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man shot by off-duty cop during fight ID'd
- Mutilated animal in Brewerytown possibly a bobcat 14 min ago
- Police investigate 2 shootings at illegal Trenton bar
- Saving with 6abc: Bridal savings 6 min ago
- Wynnewood community mourns college student's death 23 min ago
- Man arrested after Phila. police crash, chase ID'd
- Accused wedding crasher thief pleads guilty
- Police step up search in deadly hit-and-run
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects 26 min ago
- Stolen passports probed in Malaysian plane mystery
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
26 min ago