Officer's weapon discharges at suspected burglar in Lawndale
LAWNDALE - May 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- A police officer's weapon accidentally discharged at a suspected burglar in the Lawndale section of Philadelphia early Thursday morning.
The incident happened around 4:00 a.m. on the 6300 block of Palmetto Street.
Action News has learned that residents heard a break-in inside a backyard shed and called two neighboring off-duty officers who live in the area.
The officers discovered the suspect taking items from the shed - a generator, a saw and a weed whacker.
The officers yelled "police activity" and the suspect fled.
Officials say one of the officers' gun accidentally dischargedm but the suspect was not hit.
Police called out a K-9 unit to try and track the suspect down. So far, there is no word on an arrest.
police, burglary, shooting, philadelphia, local/state
- Prosecutors: 4 held in deadly NJ mall carjacking 41 min ago
- Record Warmth!
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Arrest in death of retired Villanova professor
- Police investigate tire slashings in South Philadelphia 52 min ago
- Police investigate truck accident on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Police investigate double shooting in Mantua
- 3 rescued after car plunges into Delaware pond 49 min ago
- Multi-vehicle crash on Schuylkill Expressway
- Runway littered with holiday mail
- Student robbed at gunpoint inside Philly school
- Missing 2-year-old found, mom's ex-boyfriend arrested
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish
- Prosecutors: 4 held in deadly NJ mall...
41 min ago
- Police investigate tire slashings in South...
52 min ago