Delaware State University football player injured in multi-vehicle crash
ODESSA, Del. - May 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Delaware State University football player was injured in a violent multi-vehicle crash on Route 1 in New Castle County, Delaware Thursday morning.
Delaware State Police say Jadira Green, 22, of Fort Washington, Maryland was seriously injured after his 1998 Buick Century was rear-ended by a 2007 Chevrolet box truck after 4:00 a.m. Thursday.
Police say Green's car was completely stopped without its lights on in the left northbound travel lane of Route 1 south of the Biddle Toll Plaza when it was hit by the box truck, driven by Chang Song, 37, of Camden-Wyoming, Delaware.
The impact pushed Green's car into the right northbound lane, where it was struck on the passenger side by a northbound 1999 Coach tour bus driven 74-year-old Ralph Rhoades of Laurel, Delaware.
Police say Green, who was not wearing a seatbelt, was rushed to the Christiana Hospital Trauma Center in serious condition. He remained in serious but stable condition Thursday afternoon.
Sources tell Action News that Green is an offensive lineman for Delaware State University Hornets foortball team. The team's website lists Green as a senior.
Delaware State University graduation ceremonies are scheduled for this Sunday.
Neither Song nor Rhoades was injured in the crash.
Northbound Route 1 was closed for about 4 hours as police investigated and crews worked to clear the wreckage.
An investigation continues. No charges have yet been filed.
new castle county, delaware, accident, local/state
- Shots fired into a Philadelphia firehouse
- AccuWeather: Friday Clouds and SE Rain
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 3 Phila. schools closed Friday, staff relocated
- How to safeguard your computer against kidnappers
- Retired Philly cop charged with assaulting teen
- Police: Gloucester Co. woman's death a homicide
- Police search for missing Philadelphia couple
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Resident return to assess damage from Ewing explosion
- K9 unit leads police to burglary suspect in Medford
- Obama says Crimea separation would violate law
- Upper Darby cop charged with DUI in hit-and-run