Delaware State University football player injured in multi-vehicle crash
ODESSA, Del. - May 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- A Delaware State University football player was injured in a violent multi-vehicle crash on Route 1 in New Castle County, Delaware Thursday morning.
Delaware State Police say Jadira Green, 22, of Fort Washington, Maryland was seriously injured after his 1998 Buick Century was rear-ended by a 2007 Chevrolet box truck after 4:00 a.m. Thursday.
Police say Green's car was completely stopped without its lights on in the left northbound travel lane of Route 1 south of the Biddle Toll Plaza when it was hit by the box truck, driven by Chang Song, 37, of Camden-Wyoming, Delaware.
The impact pushed Green's car into the right northbound lane, where it was struck on the passenger side by a northbound 1999 Coach tour bus driven 74-year-old Ralph Rhoades of Laurel, Delaware.
Police say Green, who was not wearing a seatbelt, was rushed to the Christiana Hospital Trauma Center in serious condition. He remained in serious but stable condition Thursday afternoon.
Sources tell Action News that Green is an offensive lineman for Delaware State University Hornets foortball team. The team's website lists Green as a senior.
Delaware State University graduation ceremonies are scheduled for this Sunday.
Neither Song nor Rhoades was injured in the crash.
Northbound Route 1 was closed for about 4 hours as police investigated and crews worked to clear the wreckage.
An investigation continues. No charges have yet been filed.
new castle county, delaware, accident, local/state
- School Closings & Delays
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Video: Snow-lovers sled down Art Museum steps
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Phila. students dig out cars stuck in slush
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands