Class of 2013 largest ever for Temple University
PHILADELPHIA - May 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Temple University graduated its largest class in school history on Thursday. More than 9,000 students in cap and gown are receiving their degrees in front of proud family and friends.
"I'm so excited. I can't wait to be a teacher some day," said graduate Lindsay Britland of Yardley, Bucks County.
Teachers, lawyers, journalists and more were on-hand for commencement day. The biggest graduating class in the school's history filled into the Liacourus Center Thursday morning.
Thousands of graduates in their caps and gowns were conferred with their undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees.
Kaley Carpenter graduated today, and she tells Action News, "It's exciting. I can't believe it's over. It's so bittersweet. I'm going to miss Temple so much."
Proud smiles brightened up the rainy morning. The Class of 2013 ranges in age from 19 to 73 and comes from 57 nations, 49 states plus Guam, DC, and Puerto Rico. 54 counties in Pennsylvania were represented today as well.
As usual, Temple alum Dr. Bill Cosby joined in on the fun, raising his tasseled baseball hat high, as these graduates ready to embark on a new journey.
Antonio Boone of Baltimore, Maryland described the trepidation felt by most new graduates, saying, "It is intimidating because you know it's the real world, and a lot of our professors, especially in the journalism school, they've talked about going into the 'real world.' But I think with Temple, being 'Temple Made,' 'Real World Made,' you know, it's prepared us for that."
Thursday afternoon and Friday will host more, smaller graduation ceremonies, allowing for more time to celebrate.
north philadelphia, philadelphia, temple university, college, education, local/state
- Multi-alarm fire at NJ apartment complex 5 min ago
- Lots of sun, chilly today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Photos: Pictures of damage from Tuesday's storm 11 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp. 10 min ago
- Violent Chester police confrontation caught on video
- Driver loses control, hits parked SUV in South Philly
- Free coffee as Wawa celebrates 50th 58 min ago
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Bucks Co. runner set to return to Boston Marathon
- Chaka Fattah Jr. files $10 million federal lawsuit
- Police: Pa. man tries to snatch baby from stroller
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster 17 min ago
- High winds bring damage to Abington Twp.
10 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos