Worker hit by coil, falls 70 feet at Port of Wilmington
WILMINGTON, Del. - May 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Medics say a worker at the Port of Wilmington was hit by a coil of wire and fell 70 feet.
Rescuers were called to the scene at 1600 Christiana Avenue around 4:00 p.m. Thursday.
According to authorities on the scene, the 23-year-old man was helping unload a ship when the coil, weighing approximately 2,000 pounds, rolled onto his chest.
The man then fell 70 feet down a cargo hold.
Rescuers say the coil was removed before they arrived. They eventually rescued the man from the cargo hold and he was flown to the hospital by helicopter.
There was no immediate word on the man's condition.
delaware, wilmington, industrial accident, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Get ready for a break from the winter chill
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos