Worker hit by coil, falls 70 feet at Port of Wilmington
WILMINGTON, Del. - May 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Medics say a worker at the Port of Wilmington was hit by a coil of wire and fell 70 feet.
Rescuers were called to the scene at 1600 Christiana Avenue around 4:00 p.m. Thursday.
According to authorities on the scene, the 23-year-old man was helping unload a ship when the coil, weighing approximately 2,000 pounds, rolled onto his chest.
The man then fell 70 feet down a cargo hold.
Rescuers say the coil was removed before they arrived. They eventually rescued the man from the cargo hold and he was flown to the hospital by helicopter.
There was no immediate word on the man's condition.
delaware, wilmington, industrial accident, local/state
- Pa. Turnpike reopens after multi-vehicle crash
- Temps Soar
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Carolers to perform to grant cancer patient her wish 9 min ago
- Volleyball coach accused of sex with student
- Shots fired at home in Lower Gwynedd
- 2 men sought in Deptford Twp. hotel robbery
- Quick moving blaze damages house in West Philly
- Car plunges into lake in Vineland, victims ID'd
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Philippine mayor among 4 killed at Manila airport
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet?
- Woman's secret Santa turns out to be Bill Gates
- Temps Soar