Worker hit by coil, falls 70 feet at Port of Wilmington
WILMINGTON, Del. - May 16, 2013 (WPVI) -- Medics say a worker at the Port of Wilmington was hit by a coil of wire and fell 70 feet.
Rescuers were called to the scene at 1600 Christiana Avenue around 4:00 p.m. Thursday.
According to authorities on the scene, the 23-year-old man was helping unload a ship when the coil, weighing approximately 2,000 pounds, rolled onto his chest.
The man then fell 70 feet down a cargo hold.
Rescuers say the coil was removed before they arrived. They eventually rescued the man from the cargo hold and he was flown to the hospital by helicopter.
There was no immediate word on the man's condition.
delaware, wilmington, industrial accident, local/state
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday 45 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia 27 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 8 min ago
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Gas leak, evacuations reported in Frankford
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Camden H.S. wrestler wins state championship
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
45 min ago
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
27 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
8 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos