Mother of 7-year-old hit-and-run victim speaks
OXFORD CIRCLE - May 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- The search is on for a hit-and-run driver who struck a 7-year-old girl and Action News spoke with the young victim's mother.
7-year-old Farrah Hughes remains at St. Christopher's Hospital in stable condition. She suffered a broken leg, bumps and bruises after being struck by a car on Thursday.
"She's in a lot of pain, she wakes up screaming a lot. She's on a heavy dose of morphine around the clock," said Regina Hughes, Farrah's mother.
Around 3:45 in the afternoon, Farrah was struck by a woman in a white SUV.
The 2nd grader was coming home from school with her sister, brother and cousin when she was hit on the 6200 block of Large Street in Oxford Circle.
"And to my knowledge, the lady got out the car, looked at Farrah and she pulled off and left my baby there," said Hughes.
Hughes say she's relieved her daughter will survive the accident but the child now faces a difficult road of recovery.
"She's going to be in a wheel chair, she was playing soccer, she can't do anything. Her whole summer is ruined from this. Then, she has to have surgery again in nine months to have the rods removed from her femur. For a child to go through that and for a person not to show a little concern is said," said Hughes.
Police have very little information on the description of the female driver, but Hughes has this to say to her:
"I forgive you from the bottom of my heart. I'm a Christian, I forgive you, I just want you to turn yourself in and just realize that mistakes happen. God forgives you," she said.
Police say the white SUV that struck Farrah is possibly a KIA with a gray front and rear bumper.
If anyone has any additional information that may help lead to the driver, you are being asked to call Philadelphia Police.
philadelphia, oxford circle, accident, pedestrian struck, local/state, dann cuellar
- Photos: AccuWeather Maps: Snow arrives
- Winter's Last Blast 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app 57 min ago
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Video: Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City 2 min ago
- Video: Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware 24 min ago
- Woman, 98, injured in Powelton high-rise fire
- Mike Schmidt reveals skin cancer battle
- Police: Driver, who hit pedestrian, hit by car
- Malaysian police examine pilot's flight simulator
- Crimeans vote to leave Ukraine, join Russia
- Delaware man suspected in 14 different thefts
- NJ salon customer allegedly attacks employees
- NJ state police trooper among 3 injured in crash
- Winter's Last Blast
3 min ago
- Annie McCormick: Snow in Atlantic City
2 min ago
- Katherine Scott: Snow in Delaware
24 min ago