Police: Boy, 6, kicked by pony on Lancaster County farm dies
NEW HOLLAND, Pa. - May 18, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities say a 6-year-old boy died after he was kicked in the throat by a pony on a central Pennsylvania farm.
Police in Lancaster County told the (Lancaster) Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era that the boy was playing with other children in a New Holland pasture on Thursday morning.
Lt. Jonathan Heisse said the boy approached a pony from behind and the animal became startled and kicked him in the throat, causing him to be unable to breathe.
Emergency responders from New Holland Ambulance and Ephrata Community Hospital were called and the boy was airlifted to Hershey Medical Center, where Heisse said he died Friday.
Heisse declined to release the name of the child but said he lives "outside the area."
Information from: Intelligencer Journal/Lancaster New Era
pennsylvania, lancaster county, animals, child death, local/state
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University 50 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash 48 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Shooting leads to police standoff in Logan 11 min ago
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death 27 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death 32 min ago
- Volunteer brutally assaulted outside Lehigh Co. church 38 min ago
- Delco police standoff ends, suspect dead
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 56 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila. fire station 47 min ago
- Malaysian military: Missing jet changed course 56 min ago
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to...
27 min ago
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's...
32 min ago
- Tests confirm toxic chemicals inside Phila....
47 min ago
- AccuWeather: Weather Whiplash
48 min ago