Sketches released of suspect in Delaware attempted abduction
CLAYMONT, Del. - May 19, 2013 (WPVI) -- New Castle County detectives are investigating an attempted abduction of a 9-year-old girl that occurred last week.
The incident took place at the Harbor House Apartments in Claymont, Delaware.
County police responded to the 200 block of Harbor Drive at 8:30 p.m. Monday for a report of an attempted abduction.
Police say the 9-year-old entered her apartment building after playing outside with a friend when an unknown male suspect grabbed her from behind.
A short time later, the child had the opportunity to get away and proceeded to yell and scream as she was running toward her residence. She was able to safely return home and alert family members.
Police say the suspect immediately fled and headed in an unknown direction.
The child was not injured during the incident.
Assisting officers and a canine unit responded and performed a property check of the surrounding area, but could not locate the suspect.
After interviewing the child, police were able to construct two composite sketches of the suspect.
The suspect is described as a black or Hispanic male, 30 to 40 years of age, between 5'10" and 6 feet tall, with a medium build, who was wearing a black T-shirt with a white bird design of the front.
One of the sketches shows the suspect wearing glasses.
Anyone with information is asked to call New Castle County Police Department at (302) 395-8110.
delaware, new castle county, abduction, local/state
- Man targeted in Collingdale hit-and-run ID'd
- Easter Sunshine Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Armed robbery at Target on Roosevelt Boulevard
- Elderly man struck, killed in Rhawnhurst
- Sex assault on West Chester University campus
- Missing boater in Del. River ID'd, search called off
- Crimefighters: Reward in Camden drive-thru murder
- Divers pull more bodies from South Korean ferry
- No cause yet in 7-alarm Sea Isle City fire
- Good Samaritans help nab alleged purse snatchers
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police