Disabled veteran robbed, beaten in Philadelphia home invasion
NORTHEAST PHILADELPHIA - May 20, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say a disabled war veteran was beaten and robbed inside his Northeast Philadelphia home early Monday morning.
The incident happened early Monday morning at the Woodbridge Mews Townhomes, located on the 9400 block of Ashton Road.
58-year-old Larnell Brown had been lying in his hospital bed in his Northeast Philadelphia home around midnight when he heard a knock. Thinking it was his neighbor, he buzzed them in, but soon realized this was no friendly face. It was 5 or 6 men in black hooded sweatshirts coming through his front door.
"Opened the door, about five, six guys rush in and jump me in bed," explained Brown. "Started beating on me and stuff."
Brown was dragged from his bed to the floor, punched by the suspects while a gun was held to his head, police say.
Neighbors and friends came by this morning to check on Brown. He's a Marine Corps veteran who fought in Vietnam. A few years back he suffered a stroke and now relies on his wheelchair and an aide comes to his house each day.
Brown explained how last night one man held a gun to his head gun while the others ransacked his home.
"They said, 'What's up? Give me the money, my medications,' all this stuff."
The flat screen TV that once sat in Brown's apartment is gone, as are his medications, $200 cash and jewelry. They even took his cell phones, leaving him without a way to contact his loved ones.
Brown was treated by medics at the scene for cuts and bruises.
After hearing his story on Action News, the folks at Philadelphia Auto Body in Manayunk and Grays Ferry stopped by Brown's home with a special delivery - a new flat screen television. . Denery Phillips, an employee who serves in the National Guard, made the delivery to Brown this morning.
Police are still looking for the suspects. If you have any information you are urged to contact Northeast Detectives.
home invasion, robbery, northeast philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state
- Ohio couple married 70 years die 15 hours apart
- Egg-cellent holiday weekend
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Police: Man targeted in hit-and-run crash
- Family pets die in house blaze in Newark, Del.
- Captain of sunken S. Korean ferry, 2 crew arrested
- Search teams recover body of 13th Sherpa
- Police: Store owner victimizes teens with Taser
- Pedestrian struck by train in Plymouth Meeting
- Authorities searching Delaware River for boater
- Photos: Pictures of out-of-control boat on the Del....
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- Teen suspended for asking Miss America to prom