Local help on the way for Oklahoma tornado victims
PHILADELPHIA - May 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- Volunteers from the Philadelphia area are already on the way to help tornado victims in Moore, Oklahoma.
Action News caught up with a volunteer from the Pennsylvania chapter of the American Red Cross at Philadelphia International Airport, on her way to the disaster zone.
She is Danielle Stoppel, a retired school psychologist and now a disaster mental health worker. She will be there for those who are overcome with grief.
"People, when they have lost everything, become unhinged, unanchored. The red vest, and our work, is well known, so the victims and their families always look to the Red Cross for that comfort in a disaster," Stoppel said.
She is a veteran of this sort of work. In two years, she has been deployed to 13 disasters including the Boston Marathon bombing.
Before that, she helped in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. Two years ago, she was there after an outbreak of tornadoes killed 64 people in Alabama.
"Most of what mental health workers do is listen. We listen to their story, we listen to them. Many times, we are without words when it comes to the loss of children," she said.
The Red Cross also wants to remind everyone of its "Tornado Warning" app, which has alerts for tornado warnings and has tips on what to do before, and after, a tornado hits. Download it from the Red Cross website.
If you would like to help the victims of the tornado:
TEXT REDCROSS to 90999 to give $10
TEXT "STORM" to 80888 to make $10 donation
CHECKING ON FRIENDS AND FAMILY
UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA HELP
The University of Oklahoma is opening up spaces in Housing for the displaced families! Call 405-325-2511
oklahoma, severe weather, tornado, local/state
- Parking dispute turns violent at Cherry Hill Mall
- Sunny and chilly
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Mutilated animal found in North Philadelphia 15 min ago
- Residents return following Bucks Co. hazmat
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Man, 22, dies after shooting in Chester 55 min ago
- Man seriously injured in crash on Roosevelt Blvd.
- Gunfire erupts on Delaware Ave. near SugarHouse Casino
- Malaysia jet may have turned back
- SEPTA trolley collides with taxi in West Philadelphia
- Man gets pinned under van in Logan crash
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ