Couple charged in theft of $854K from South Whitehall Township
SOUTH WHITEHALL TWP., Pa. - May 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- A former municipal employee and her husband, a former police officer, have been charged with embezzling more than $850,000 from South Whitehall Township in Lehigh County.
Lehigh County District Attorney James Martin announced charges Tuesday against the couple, 66-year-old Nancy Tonkin and 69-year-old William Tonkin IV of Emmaus.
Martin says the couple stole hundreds of thousands from the utilities account of the South Whitehall Township finance department between 1999 and last June.
Nancy Tonkin was a township employee for 30 years and handled billing for residential and commercial water and sewer accounts.
Investigators say the couple lost more than $100,000 at casinos in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
A message left at the Tonkins' home was not immediately returned.
pennsylvania, lehigh county, theft, local/state
- Detectives serve warrants at Chester police station
- Mostly sunny, very windy today 28 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Man critical after police-involved shooting 9 min ago
- Fire damages corner produce store in North Philly 23 min ago
- 3 shot during funeral at Trenton church
- Serial burglar strikes South Phila. businesses
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Middle Township crash
- 6abc viewer helps police nab $18K jewelry suspect
- Arrest warrant issued in Collingdale hit-and-run
- Police release surveillance of Target heist
- Photos: Suspects wanted by Philadelphia Police
- What would you ask Mayor Nutter?
- Mostly sunny, very windy today
28 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos