Couple charged in theft of $854K from South Whitehall Township
SOUTH WHITEHALL TWP., Pa. - May 21, 2013 (WPVI) -- A former municipal employee and her husband, a former police officer, have been charged with embezzling more than $850,000 from South Whitehall Township in Lehigh County.
Lehigh County District Attorney James Martin announced charges Tuesday against the couple, 66-year-old Nancy Tonkin and 69-year-old William Tonkin IV of Emmaus.
Martin says the couple stole hundreds of thousands from the utilities account of the South Whitehall Township finance department between 1999 and last June.
Nancy Tonkin was a township employee for 30 years and handled billing for residential and commercial water and sewer accounts.
Investigators say the couple lost more than $100,000 at casinos in Pennsylvania and New Jersey.
A message left at the Tonkins' home was not immediately returned.
pennsylvania, lehigh county, theft, local/state
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect 18 min ago
- AccuWeather: Two very mild days
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Investigators chasing 'every angle' on missing jet
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Mutilated animal found in Brewerytown
- Victim shot 7 times in Kensington
- 1 dead, 1 injured in Winslow Twp. crash
- 2 dozen injured as California school stage falls
- 'Band of Brothers' vet William Guarnere dies at 90
- Are store credit cards worth the discount?
- Photos: Kevin Grow joins Harlem Globetrotters
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspect
18 min ago