Philadelphia police officer accused of ripping off drug dealers
PHILADELPHIA - May 22, 2013 (WPVI) -- A veteran Philadelphia police officer has been arrested on charges he stole from drug dealers.
Officer Jeffrey Walker, a 24 year veteran of the force and a member of the police department narcotics squad, was arrested on Tuesday night.
He was taken into custody leaving a home on 56th and Florence just before midnight. Police say the home belonged to an alleged drug dealer.
Walker has been a target of police internal affairs and the FBI for more than a year.
They allegedly have him on audio tape and on surveillance video talking to an FBI informant about schemes to set up known drug dealers in order to steal their drugs and cash.
"This involves drugs and ripping off drug dealers. I know about this case, don't know if he's done anything like this in the past. We're certainly looking into that to see if whether or not there is something more he's been involved in," Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey said.
Walker, according to the affidavit, confessed overnight after being caught with $15,000 in cash and a substantial amount of drugs in his possession outside the alleged drug dealer's home in Southwest Philadelphia
On Wednesday, police and the FBI raided Walker's Overbrook home seeking even more evidence.
"He's my neighbor. He's a great guy. Father, great neighbor, so I don't know him like that," neighbor Mina Stevens said.
"It's not something that sprang up overnight, it's something we've been working on for a while, but it's a good day when we can rid our ranks of a corrupt police officer," Ramsey said.
Ramsey has already launched the paperwork to fire Walker and freeze his pension.
The Fraternal Order of Police says it will not come to Walker's aid in any way including providing a defense attorney.
philadelphia, police, drugs, local/state
- Screaming vandal smashes police car windows 3 min ago
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 59 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Standoff leaves 1 dead, several in custody
- 2 men shot inside Feltonville bar
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane 20 min ago
- Couple attacked by cat say they'll get it help
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm 7 min ago
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
20 min ago