8 charged in $14M marijuana operation in southeastern Pa.
CONSHOHOCKEN, Pa. - May 23, 2013 (WPVI) -- Authorities have charged eight men, including two brothers, with operating a multi-million dollar high-grade marijuana operation in the Philadelphia area.
Officials from Montgomery County, Delaware County, Philadelphia and Pennsylvania State Police announced the charges along with the arrest of five of the suspects at a joint press conference Wednesday morning.
Detectives displayed a portion of the thousands of pounds of high-grade potent marijuana, which they say sold for $4,000 a pound.
The suspects have been identified as the following:
- Dennis Frederick, 40, of Burmont Road in Drexel Hill, Delaware County, Pennsylvania
- Jeffery Frederick, 32, of Memphis Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Charles Sadrin, 57, of Tavistock Lane in Lincoln, California
- Ernest Peterkin, 24, of Montrose Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Stanislav Dubovsky, 26, of Hewson Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Martin Williams, 31, of Christian Street in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Earl DeSantis, 45, of South Avenue in Secane, Delaware County, Pennsylvania
- John Walker, 29, of Seneca Street in Delaware County, Pennsylvania
Authorities say the suspects are responsible for supplying and peddling the drugs in southeastern Pennsylvania.
The Montgomery County District Attorney's Office says Charles Sadrin supplied the drugs, shipping thousands of pounds from Sacramento, California to Philadelphia from January 2012 to April 2013 using a private freight company.
According to the investigation, Sadrin served as a source to Jeffrey Frederick of Philadelphia and his brother Dennis of Drexel Hill. The brothers then allegedly distributed the illegal drugs locally with the help of five others.
Only Action News was there on May 7th in the 1100 block of Sigel Street in South Philadelphia when Montgomery County's Narcotics Enforcement Team moved in during a transaction after investigating the group by surveillance and phone taps. Dennis Frederick, Jeffery Frederick and Charles Sadrin were taken into custody during the bust.
Between January of 2012 and April of 2013 it is estimated Dennis Frederick grossed an estimated $14.7-million.
Today District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman described just how big of an operation this was, saying, "I've never seen a drug case where we saw the movement of $14-million dollars in marijuana in such a short time. We have taken down a major drug trafficking network in southeastern Pennsylvania."
Ernest Peterkin, Martin Williams and John Walker are still not in custody. They are considered mid level associates.
montgomery county, delaware county, philadelphia, pennsylvania, marijuana, illegal drugs, drugs, local/state
- School Closings & Delays
- Snow walloping Philadelphia area
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Storm brings snowy, icy conditions to Pa., NJ 51 min ago
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Nearly 1 foot of snow in parts of Delaware
- Photos: Images of Sunday's winter storm
- Video: Widener U. track team helps stuck drivers 6 min ago
- Eagles beat Lions 34-20 in the snow
- Video: Time lapse of snow at the Linc
- 6abc.com Flight Tracker
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands