Knife-wielding man shot, killed in Oxford Circle
PHILADELPHIA (AP) - May 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police say officers have shot and killed a man armed with a butcher knife in Northeast Philadelphia.
Lt. John Stanford said officers were called to the Oxford Circle section of the city around 7:00 a.m. Saturday and found the man in the middle of the street with knife in hand.
He says the officers used the bumper of their vehicle to knock him to the ground and demanded he put down the knife. When he refused, they used pepper spray to subdue him, but he ran toward them and they fired.
Police says it took at least three officers to finally wrestle the knife from the man.
He was transported to Aria Health Torresdale Hospital where he was later pronounced dead.
Stanford said a witness corroborated the officers' accounts.
A seven-inch butcher knife was recovered.
The 23-year-old man's name has not yet been released.
philadelphia police, shooting, oxford circle, police, northeast philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working 19 min ago
- Break dancers spark controversy on SEPTA trains 14 min ago
- 3 injured in 2-alarm fire in Holmesburg
- Students evacuated in Camden H.S. gas leak
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL 39 min ago
- Missing plane: Piracy theory gains more credence 24 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Video: Pastor collapses, dies, after admitting...
- SEPTA union agrees to keep working
19 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
39 min ago