Police shoot gunman in North Philadelphia, Ramsey calls for investigation
PHILADELPHIA - May 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Six people have been shot by Philadelphia police over the past week, two of them fatally. These incidents are enough to raise eyebrows and have certainly caught the attention of Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey who has now called for a federal investigation of his own department.
The first of two shootings on Wednesday happened just before 11:00 a.m. on the 2400 block of North 4th Street in North Philadelphia.
Police responded to a report of a man with a gun.
He was confronted by an officer who allegedly shot the 26-year-old man twice, hitting him in the upper back and rear end.
He's now in stable condition.
Witnesses say it was unprovoked.
"He stopped right there. Put his hands up. They shoot him in the back. Everybody seen them. It was an abuse," Lourdes Menendez of North Philadelphia said.
The police are investigating.
Hours later, police shot a gunman who allegedly fired at them first in Southwest Philadelphia.
Commissioner Ramsey has asked for an independent investigation of his department's policies and training practices.
He's asked the Department of Justice to conduct the investigation with an outside consultant.
He emphasizes this is not a civil rights investigation.
There have now been six police-involved shootings in one week.
Three of them happened within just 48 hours.
In each case, the police claim the person they shot pointed a weapon at them.
Philadelphia police, so far this year, have been involved in 20 shootings, compared to 28 during the same period last year.
The numbers spiked last year with a 50 percent jump over previous years.
shooting, philadelphia police, north philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow 6 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay 15 min ago
- Big storm dumps snow on East Coast 31 min ago
- US Airways, American merger complete 36 min ago
- Princeton begins meningitis B vaccinations 50 min ago
- Obama heading to South Africa 26 min ago
- Transformer fire sparks SEPTA delays
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being shot 53 min ago
- 1 dead, 50+ vehicles involved in Pa. Turnpike crashes
- Man dressed as Santa struck, killed on I-95
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
6 min ago
- Police: Man wasn't at casino before being...
53 min ago