Court: New Jersey can sign lottery marketing contract
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) - June 12, 2013 (WPVI) -- A New Jersey appeals court has ruled that the state can move ahead with its plan to turn over sales and marketing of the New Jersey Lottery to a private vendor, but the panel still plans more hearings on the matter.
Gov. Chris Christie wants to hand the functions to Northstar New Jersey, a joint venture that was the only bidder for the 15-year contract. The deal would give the state government $120 million upfront.
The Communications Workers of America union, which represents lottery workers, sued to block the deal, saying it should not be allowed to go ahead in part because there was just one bidder.
A two-judge panel issued an order Tuesday saying it will not grant a stay to prevent the state from signing the contract. The panel found that there would be no irreparable harm for allowing the deal to proceed.
But the court is still planning full consideration of the issues, though further hearings have not yet been scheduled.
Getting the money soon is a priority for the Christie administration, which is seeking to use the funds to help balance the state budget that runs through June 30.
The CWA has something to lose if the contract takes effect. State officials have said it would mean eliminating about 60 jobs in the lottery, but have also said that it would try to find other positions for the displaced workers.
The issue has become a partisan lightning rod, with six Democratic members of Congress asking Attorney General Eric Holder to review the deal.
State Sen. Barbara Buono, who is challenging Christie in this year's gubernatorial election, also objects.
lottery, trenton, new jersey, local/state
- Cold today, Saturday looks snowy
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Chase ends near Sports Complex; suspects sought
- Carjack suspect in custody in SW Phila. 11 min ago
- Driver crashes into police cruiser in Wilmington
- 2 injured in Vineland school bus crash
- 3rd person dies after I-95 crash in Lawrence, N.J.
- No charges against officers in teen Tasering
- Woman admits to stealing packages from Delco homes
- DA: Charges coming in fatal frat ritual in Poconos
- Video: Flyers fans receive greatest Christmas gift
- Beyonce releases new album on iTunes 47 min ago
- Beyonce releases new album on iTunes
47 min ago
- Carjack suspect in custody in SW Phila.
11 min ago
- Police investigate armed home invasion in...
35 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos