Body found in Philadelphia attorney's home identified
CENTER CITY - May 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- Action News has learned the identity of the woman found dead in the Center City home of a prominent Philadelphia attorney.
The discovery was made just after 10:00 Saturday morning on the 2000 block of Delancy Place.
A maintenance man found 26-year-old Julia Law dead inside a bathtub.
Attorney Chuck Peruto Jr. owns the apartment and Law was his girlfriend.
Sources say the maintenance man called 911 after the discovering Law's body.
Sources also say there were no signs of trauma and no drugs found at the scene.
Peruto issued a statement saying:
Julia was a beautiful, caring free spirit hippy, who I was blessed to have known. Words can't express how sad I am to finally have met someone who I believed truly loved me. You should all have someone touch your life, like she did mine. Pray for her. She was an angel.
Peruto told police he was at the Jersey Shore on Friday night into Saturday morning.
On Saturday, he was questioned as a witness by homicide detectives.
Police sources say that while homicide detectives are the lead investigators on the case, they are still only calling this a "sudden death." It has not been ruled a homicide.
Neighbors, in the normally quiet zip code, are curious and surprised after police activity dominated the block.
"This is not a crime it's a tragedy. Until someone tells me otherwise, there's no proof of foul play or crime, it could be a million things," said Pamela McCarthy, neighbor.
According to social media, Law studied at Drexel and worked as a paralegal in Peruto's office.
Action News spoke to her family but they declined an interview.
Meanwhile an autopsy has been completed, but police are awaiting toxicology results.
An investigation continues.
philadelphia, center city, body found, local/state
- Police: Delco 2nd grade teacher groped 2 girls 39 min ago
- AccuWeather: Thunderstorms possible today
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2 dead after building explosion in New York City
- Skippack student hospitalized with meningitis infection
- Phila. cop charged with false imprisonment 14 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from East Harlem explosion
- Jordan Brown murder case goes to Pa. high court 31 min ago
- Fatal house fire in Coatesville, Chester County 55 min ago
- Man in boxers attacks police station, cars
- NJ teen who sued parents returns home 47 min ago
- Pa. state senator charged with misuse of office 24 min ago
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm