Neighbor rescues woman in West Oak Lane fire
WEST OAK LANE - May 25, 2013 (WPVI) -- A man was able to help rescue his neighbor during an apartment fire in West Oak Lane.
It happened around 5:00 Saturday afternoon on the 7400 block of Limekiln Pike.
The fire broke out in the basement of the apartment complex. Smoke could be seen coming from the building upon arrival.
Jermel Bowen heard the woman screaming for help and jumped into action.
"Her windows were barred, we had to kick the bars in and pull her out. She was unconscious after inhaling the fumes," said Bowen.
Bowen, who is also training to be an EMT, tended to the victim until ambulances arrived.
Fire crews brought the blaze under control within 35 minutes.
The victim, a woman in her 40s, was taken to Albert Einstein Hospital for smoke inhalation.
Officials are still investigating the cause for the fire.
philadelphia, west oak lane, fire, local/state
- China-bound Malaysian jet vanishes with 239 aboard
- Finally, a nice weekend! 3 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Pedestrian struck, killed in Delaware County
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- West Philadelphia body ID'd as missing woman
- Boyfriend arrested in Gloucester Co. murder
- Mom who drove minivan into ocean charged
- Chaput, Nutter, Corbett announce Vatican trip
- 3 arrests in Cumberland Co. arsons
- UPenn's Foal Cam gives LIVE view into horse's birth
- Photos: Arrests in warrant sweep, jewel theft, more
- Finally, a nice weekend!
3 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos