Pedestrian struck by state trooper in Dewey Beach
DEWEY BEACH, Del. (AP) - May 26, 2013 (WPVI) -- State police say a trooper struck and injured a 24-year-old man who was walking on the edge of the right travel lane of Coastal Highway in Dewey Beach.
The pedestrian, Brian McDermott of Bryn Mawr, Pa., was critically injured and was flown to Christiana Hospital. Police believe McDermott had been drinking before he was struck around 1:15 a.m. Sunday.
McDermott was struck by a fully marked state police cruiser operated by a 27-year-old trooper based out of Lewes. Police have not said what led to the accident other than noting that the pedestrian was straddling the edge of the shoulder and the travel lane. The trooper provided first aid to the injured man until emergency medical providers arrived on the scene.
The accident remains under investigation.
delaware, pedestrian struck, local/state
- 1 dead, multiple in custody after Logan standoff
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold tonight 26 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Triple shooting leaves 1 dead in West Oak Lane 28 min ago
- 3 hit by car inside Famous Footwear in Chesco
- Deadly shooting near La Salle University
- Police: Woman, 21, stabbed grandfather to death
- Cat found hanging from fence in Germantown
- Pedestrian struck in North Philadelphia
- Meningitis suspected in Drexel student's death
- New joint replacement technique for the elbow
- Self-penned obit takes internet by storm
- Photos: Philly's unsolved missing child cases
- AccuWeather: Very warm today, very cold...
26 min ago