Gosnell abortion clinic workers face sentencing
PHILADELPHIA - May 27, 2013 (WPVI) -- In a somewhat unusual move, Philadelphia prosecutors are expected to seek mercy this week for three women being sentenced for murder for their work at an abortion clinic whose operator was found guilty of killing babies born alive.
Prosecutors admit the women were desperate, and each has given testimony that helped send clinic owner Dr. Kermit Gosnell to prison for life.
His former underlings include medical assistants Lynda Williams, Sherry West and Adrienne Moton. They are due in court Wednesday to be sentenced for third-degree murder in the deaths of babies or an oversedated patient.
Defense lawyers call the women naive, untrained and uneducated. West's lawyer, Michael Wallace, says Gosnell had a "Svengali control" over the women.
Wallace says if it were up to him, his client would get probation.
dr. kermit gosnell, philadelphia, abortion, trial, pennsylvania, local/state
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater collapse 55 min ago
- Record Weekend Warmth 47 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- Security breach affected all cards, not just Target's
- Steps you can take to reduce fraud risk
- 1 dead after car plunges into lake in Vineland 48 min ago
- Is heroin addiction as close as your medicine cabinet? 54 min ago
- Philadelphia Police search for missing 2-year-old boy 52 min ago
- Attempted child luring in Newtown, Bucks County
- Holiday tips, cards stolen in East Pikeland Twp.
- Pastor defrocked after performing son's gay wedding
- 50 coworkers in Del. to split $1M Mega Millions ticket
- Bring old clothes to new H&M for savings
- Record Weekend Warmth
47 min ago
- Over 75 injured in partial London theater...
55 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos