U.S. Marshals shoot former cop dead in Upper Darby
UPPER DARBY, Pa. - May 28, 2013 (WPVI) -- A shootout in Upper Darby Tuesday night resulted in the death of a former police officer from Northumberland County, Pennsylvania who was wanted by U.S. Marshals in connection with a shooting.
"Based on all information that was obtained, this guy was looking to die or get into a shootout with cops," Upper Darby Police Superintendent Mike Chitwood said.
31-year-old Anthony James Galla is a former officer with a number of police departments in Central Pennsylvania, including Mount Carmel Police.
He was being sought for breaking into his ex-girlfriend's home in the middle of the night and attempting to shoot and kill her boyfriend.
Police say he fired at him several times as the boyfriend attempted to flee, but only managed to shoot him in the foot.
According to an affidavit of probable cause, when an officer reached him by cell phone and tried to talk him into turning himself in, Galla told him, "The real Anthony Galla is back. There are two ways this will end - one is good and one is bad."
When U.S. Marshals tracked him to the Summit Inn Hotel in Upper Darby Tuesday night, Galla's brother tried to warn him.
"He ran in. They chased him inside. He's screaming, "Cops. Cops." They eventually get him and then there's the shootout," Chitwood said.
U.S. Marshals shot Galla after he pointed a .40 caliber Glock at them, but he apparently had a lot more in a blue bag they found in the room, which contained lots of ammunition.
"They are 15 ammunition, Glock ammunition, shotgun shells, in addition to the ammunition, we also found bulletproof vests. So this guy was ready for war," Chitwood said.
The suspect's brother and a woman were taken in for questioning.
pennsylvania, upper darby, police, shooting, local/state, dann cuellar
- Suspect SUV in deadly hit and run caught on camera
- Slightly Cooler Sunday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Off-duty cop shoots man during fight
- Police: Deadly shooting at after-hours bar
- PSU trustee resigns, regrets Paterno vote
- Mom of Tasered teen arrested for shoplifting
- Jet crash: Oil slicks found; Passports stolen
- Woman trapped after crashing SUV in Darby Boro
- Pa. Trooper's pregnant wife killed by gun discharge
- Actress Sheila MacRae of 'Honeymooners' dies at 92
- 2 arrested, 1 sought after cop hit by car in Delco
- Photos: $3.25M summer home in Ocean City, NJ