Surveillance released of $76K theft from ATM worker in North Philadelphia
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - May 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are searching for two men who made off with $76,000 from an ATM repairman's car in North Philadelphia Tuesday afternoon.
Surveillance cameras captured the entire theft on tape.
The incident happened around 4:30 p.m. outside the Rose Garden Chinese American takeout restaurant on the 1000 block of Susquehanna Avenue.
The repairman not only works on ATMs, but also refills them, police explained.
In this particular scenario he was fixing the ATM cash machine inside the store when two suspects, believed to be in their late teens to early 20s, made off with a black bag filled with cash from the worker's car.
The 27-year-old victim told police he left his 2007 Mazda 5 unlocked by mistake.
Sources say the man told police he was inside for about a half-hour when he remembered he hadn't locked up his car and clicked the locks closed remotely. But when he later checked, the bag containing $76,000 was gone.
Surveillance video shows the two suspects walking past the car and into a nearby store. They then exit the store and walk past the car a second time before going back, opening the door, and stealing the bag of cash.
The suspects fled on foot and were last seen traveling west on Susquehanna Avenue.
theft, north philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state
- Iranian teen had stolen passport on missing jet 48 min ago
- AccuWeather: mild today, rain Wednesday
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- Woman shot in bed in South Philadelphia
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden 53 min ago
- 911 recordings released in Ewing Twp. explosion
- Search for finger-biting mall attack suspects
- Autopsy results released in death of trooper's wife
- Man,90, dies in Hamilton Township house fire
- Pa. woman born at Burger King seeks birth mom
- Photos: 7 recent child porn arrests in Pa.and Del.
- Photos: Thwarted! 10 suspects caught in the act
- Video: Cat attacks toddler, parents call 911 9 min ago
- Suspicious fire damages home in Camden
53 min ago
- Dad ditches son's stroller to catch baseball
39 min ago
6abc.com News Links
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos