Surveillance released of $76K theft from ATM worker in North Philadelphia
NORTH PHILADELPHIA - May 29, 2013 (WPVI) -- Police are searching for two men who made off with $76,000 from an ATM repairman's car in North Philadelphia Tuesday afternoon.
Surveillance cameras captured the entire theft on tape.
The incident happened around 4:30 p.m. outside the Rose Garden Chinese American takeout restaurant on the 1000 block of Susquehanna Avenue.
The repairman not only works on ATMs, but also refills them, police explained.
In this particular scenario he was fixing the ATM cash machine inside the store when two suspects, believed to be in their late teens to early 20s, made off with a black bag filled with cash from the worker's car.
The 27-year-old victim told police he left his 2007 Mazda 5 unlocked by mistake.
Sources say the man told police he was inside for about a half-hour when he remembered he hadn't locked up his car and clicked the locks closed remotely. But when he later checked, the bag containing $76,000 was gone.
Surveillance video shows the two suspects walking past the car and into a nearby store. They then exit the store and walk past the car a second time before going back, opening the door, and stealing the bag of cash.
The suspects fled on foot and were last seen traveling west on Susquehanna Avenue.
theft, north philadelphia, philadelphia, local/state
- Photos: Maps of Monday's expected snow 14 min ago
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday 15 min ago
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2-alarm fire at Holmesburg condo complex 20 min ago
- Family displaced in Wilmington house fire 59 min ago
- Runway reopens after failed takeoff at PHL
- Investigator: Missing plane flew over Malaysia
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says strike unlikely 38 min ago
- Police investigate death of toddler at Del. daycare
- Teen father arrested for biting nose off infant
- 5 arrested after Logan murder, standoff
- Mississippi man who awakened inside body bag dies
- Video: Pastor collapses, dies, after admitting...
- Snow likely Sunday into Monday
15 min ago
- SEPTA unveils strike plan; union says...
38 min ago