Police defend use of force in Berks County mall brawl
Police in Berks County are defending their actions after a mall brawl was caught on camera Saturday night.
The incident occurred around 9:00 p.m. at the Berkshire Mall.
Officers were investigating the report of a costume jewelry theft from the store Razzle Dazzle when 20-year-old Jenssy Santana, from Laureldale, interfered, officials say.
According to police, Santana's girlfriend and sister were involved in the investigation.
Cell phone video captured Santana, along with police and mall security fighting in the mall corridor, surrounded by dozens of shoppers.
The video shows an officer kicking the suspect in the lower stomach and then friends rushing police and trying to push the officers away.
Wyomissing police say the force was justified.
Santana is facing charges of resisting arrest, aggravated assault and disorderly conduct.
The suspects say they plan to fight the charges until their names are cleared.
berks county, police, pennsylvania, local/state
- AccuWeather is Tracking More Snow
- Get the 6abc StormTracker app
- WATCH: Action News Online
- 2013 Troop Greetings
- 2 arrested for violent Center City attack 8 min ago
- Arrest in S. Phila. Christmas decoration theft
- Woman stabbed female cousin to death, police say
- Roy Halladay retiring as a Blue Jay
- Man who bought guns for teen sentenced 6 min ago
- 2 kids, 3 others injured in school bus crash
- US Airways, American merger complete 9 min ago
- Rachael Ray's cookbook competition 13 min ago
- AAA: Prepare your car for winter driving now! 38 min ago
- Photos: Pictures from Paul Walker memorial rally
- Shoplifting dog gets busted
29 min ago